Monday, May 14, 2012

Italian Burocracy - la divina commedia

So last week I started my trial to become a resident of Cottanello. Already knowing the italian burocracy I knew already that it won't become easy so I was prepared.
The first step went surprisingly well. I went to the Comune of Cottanello and declared my wish to become a Cottanellesa. Considering the number of inhabitants (a little less than 600) the man was quite happy and helped me filling out a big paper. I just needed to add my ASL (the health insurance) and an working contract.
The next day the italian movie began... We went to the ASL which is in another town to get my health insurance. After waiting in a row the two women in there told me I needed my Codice fiscale (the tax number), a copy of my pass, a working contract and a filled out formular. The Codice fiscale I would get at the Comune of this town. So we went there, waited at the counter where an already very angry couple was arguing with the woman behind. When it was our turn the woman told us that we would get the Codice Fiscale at the police. So we went to the police station where a nicely dressed carabiniere (I love these uniforms!) told us that we were absolutely wrong and how could somebody think you could get a Codice Fiscale at the police. You would get it at the ASL Centre. So we went there again, asked the man at the first counter, and he sent us straight back to the first woman we have seen that morning telling us we needed to go to the Comune.
We waited awfully long in a row of irritated italians. Just before us two asian women went into the room having an at least 15 cm thick folder full of documents. After them I told the woman at the counter as politely as I could in my best italian about our odyssee. Well, she then sent us to another place in the town.....
Having walked there, asking lots of (very friendly) Italians for the way we finally found the right place for the Codice Fiscale which is only opened on Tuesdays. One man was waiting in front of the door so we stood there too and waited until suddenly a friend of us (you always meet someone you know in these small places) showed up and explained to us that those other people around the corner were also waiting.
To sum it up, we spent hours just to find out where I can get my Codice fiscale next Tuesday which I need for my ASL which I need for my registration at the Comune.
WAAAAH!


No comments:

Post a Comment